Following a healthy lifestyle is the basic trifecta when it comes to New Year’s resolutions and a focus on mental health. One must exercise regularly, follow a proper diet and get enough sleep. These things are essential because they have a direct effect on mood.
In an exclusive conversation with Zee News English, Ms. Tara Mehta, Clinical Psychologist, Fortis Associate at SL Raheja Hospital, Mahim shares New Year’s Resolutions that will help improve your mental health.
Tips for improving mental health
Here are some simple yet effective tips shared by Ms. Tara Mehta to make you healthy and happy in the coming year:
1. Make regular exercise a priority
– Engage in regular physical activity to increase blood circulation and release endorphins, promote happiness and reduce stress.
2. Conscious eating habits
– Avoid excessive consumption of sugary or processed foods that can affect focus and concentration.
– Limit caffeine and sugary drinks to ensure a good night’s sleep, emphasizing the importance of a healthy diet for mental well-being.
3. Quality sleep matters
– Ensure six to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep per night to boost focus, attention and mood, prevent irritability and restlessness.
4. Master the art of prioritization
– Learn to prioritize tasks in daily life to avoid burnout.
– Set aside personal activities, whether alone or with friends, to recharge and prevent neglect of personal needs.
5. Cultivate joyful hobbies
– Spend time doing activities that bring you joy like dancing, painting, sports or gardening to break the monotony of daily work.
6. Effective communication
– Maintain open communication in the relationship to express needs, thoughts and desires.
– Recognize the importance of communication in promoting good mental health.
7. Practice mindfulness
– Embrace mindfulness to focus on the present rather than worrying about the future or dwelling on the past.
– Keep a gratitude journal to appreciate daily positive experiences and develop a positive outlook on life.
8. Self-care is essential
– Prioritize yourself not to neglect personal well-being.
– Applying these tips consistently contributes to better mental health and a happier life.
Implementing all these and following them will definitely help one improve their mental health and have a Happy New Year!